History of St Paul's Anglican Church
St Paul's Anglican Church
Prior to the building of St. Paul's Church, ministry was provided by the clergy of St. John's, Stirling (est. 1860). In early 1874, a site for the church was chosen at the top of Bursthall Street with the land given to St. Paul's by the Cobourg, Peterborough and Marmora Railway and Mining Company. The Church was erected in the fall of 1874 from stone quarried on the far side of the Crowe River below the bridge. The handsome stone tower was added ten years later.
The first rector appointed to St. Paul's was the Rev. Charles Mountain Harris, a graduate of Trinity College, Toronto. Canon Harris served St. Paul's until his death in 1923 and during his term he had erected two daughter churches; St. Mark's, Bonarlaw (1882) and Holy Trinity, North Marmora( closed and demolished in 1945). In 1923 a Rectory was built to house the second rector, an attractive residence adjacent to the Church and enclosed by a stone fence.
In the centennial year of the congregation (1974) a parish hall was erected and this structure was connected to the church.